The Town Planning Officer heads the Department. The Town Planning (TP) Department is categorised into (a) Ministerial wing and (b) Executive Wing.
Functions of the TP Section:
- Issue of Permit for Building Construction
- Issue of Occupancy Certificates for constructions completed
- Application for Regularization
- Action against encroachment
- Action against unauthorized construction
- Issuance of permission to construct bus stop within the Corporation limit
- Issuance of permission to install hoardings within the Corporation area
- Issuance of permission for covering slab over drainages
- Issuance of experience certificate of Licensed Building Supervisors
- Issuance of permission to put up bunks
- Overall functions relating to land acquisition for various developmental activities and road formation/widening
- To furnish reply to audit objections and to get the same dropped
- Processing and monitoring of applications for building constructions / upgradation under Kerala Vikasana Padhathi and issuance of stage certificates for constructions under VAMB AY scheme
- Establishment matters of all employees of TP Section
- All other functions enlisted in Kerala Municipal Building Rules 1999 and Section 381 to 409 & 367 of KM Act 1994.
Town Planning Department is also to deal with litigations against (a) denial of permission for building constructions and (b) acquisition proceedings initiated for various developmental activities.