The Department of Revenue is divided into (a) Tax I (b) Tax II (c) Tax III & (d) Non Tax sections.
The general nature of work in the Property Tax Section includes:
- New Assessments – recording & posting of the same in concerned registers
- Issuance of ownership certificates
- Title transfer
- Preparation of special notices
- Consider & disposal of complaints against levy of tax
- Consider & disposal of appeal against fixing of tax
- Consider & dispose applications pertaining to remission of tax in respect of vacant buildings
- Work relating to cancellation of ownership in respect of demolished buildings.
- Adjustment/refund of tax paid in excess/twice
- Consider & disposal of applications of ex-servicemen for exempting payment of property tax
- Updating demand register and preparation of Demand-Collection-Balance statement.
TAX I Section
All the sections are primarily dealing with work relating to assessment of building tax.
TAX III Section
Work related to property tax of buildings, property tax of revenue wards, etc
TAXI & III FIELD STAFF
Revenue Circles & Wards assigned to Revenue Inspectors.
Duties of Revenue Inspectors:
- Assessment of property tax, profession tax by making field inspection
- Reporting of cases relating to title transfer, vacancy remission, demolished buildings etc. by making field inspection
- Repossession of rooms/buildings of rent defaulters
- Issue necessary direction to Bill Collectors for effecting proper collection of tax, collection of tax from defaulters by means of Recovery warrant, prosecution etc.
Duties of Bill Collectors:
- Collection of property tax, profession tax etc. from the taxpayers at their premises.
- Issue demand notice for tax defaulters and submit report to the office in this regard
- Remit the amount so collected to the Corporation Treasury after recording the same in the collection register.
Duties of Peons posted to Asst. Revenue Inspectors:
- Issue notices in the concerned circles
- Perform the duties relating to property tax, profession tax etc., as directed by Revenue Inspectors.
PROFESSION TAX SECTION
Work related to profession tax will be handled by this section.
NON TAX SECTION
It is estimated that 40% of the revenue received by the Corporation is from the Non Tax Section. The main work of the Non Tax Section includes:
- Allot buildings, markets & lands owned by the Corporation on licence terms
- Grant licence of right to collect advertisement tax & timber tax
- Allot Auditorium/halls of the Corporation on daily rent basis
- Collect licence fee periodically and vacate those tenants failing to remit the licence fee regularly, auction out vacant rooms etc
- Allot quarters to staff
- Issue licence to both stationary bunks &, mobile bunks
- Allot comfort station, cloakroom, taxi stand, lorry stand etc by auction
- Remit electricity charges, water charges, telephone charges etc. of the halls
- Collect entertainment tax from cinema theatres
- Check tickets of cinema theatres
- Issue PPR licence